Monday, January 30, 2006

Kirkuk Crud

In mid October, while we were still in Iraq, I began to suffer from what the medics eventually diagnosed as a sinus infection. The colonel from Brooklyn told me that the body is like plumbing. If the drainage gets plugged up, moisture can pool up and mold can grow there. So he prescribed antibiotics and something to dry up my sinuses. I’ve had sinus infections before and as usual I began to feel better quickly.

We left Iraq on November 1, and arrived back in Idaho in mid November. A couple of weeks later, the infection returned, a little stronger. I was on terminal leave, still on active duty, when I went to my local clinic for treatment. The PA there treated the returned infection aggressively, including antibiotics, something to dry me up, steroids (for something, I dunno) and an injection of anti-inflammatories. I thought “Hot Damn!”, this guy’s going for it. And the treatment didn’t cost anything.

I felt better pretty quickly. However, about a month later the infection returned, even stronger. I returned to the PA and he pretty much gave me the same treatment, except with out the injection. He also sent me for a CT scan to look for something that might harbor the offending infection. That came back essentially negative, but I was feeling better so I didn’t much care. I got a bill this time, though.

About three weeks later, the infection returned, but this time it was pissed off. So, back to the doc. I saw a different PA, and got a different prescription. This guy consulted the CDC and concluded that I had received the incorrect antibiotic for an “international traveler.” So now I am on the strongest antibiotic, for twice the length of time. The first few days I was pretty worthless, but I’m beginning to think that I might be human again one day.

Interestingly, while I was on active duty the docs and prescriptions were at no cost to me. Although I get 6 months of Tri-Care health insurance, after I ended leave the treatment began to cost me. Doesn’t matter that it’s clearly related to active duty, I still have to pay. (Not a lot, but still a payment). An active duty guy my shoes wouldn’t pay anything. One on hand I’m glad to have the insurance, but on the other it just doesn’t seem equitable. And I wonder about this crud I brought back from Iraq. Is it really just a sinus infection, or did all the toxins I was exposed to make me the lucky recipient of some type of Gulf War Syndrome? Doubtful, but it makes a guy wonder.

No comments: