Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Reassembling

I went to drill last weekend, which was the first time I had been back in a military situation since REFRADing (REFRAD=Return From Active Duty). We are allowed 60 days before we have to drill (February), but many of us decided to go in early.

I saw soldiers in the green Battle Dress Uniform, wearing black or brown boots. Both are now authorized. Some soldiers were wearing the Desert Camo Uniforms, which aren’t authorized but are probably all they have to wear. Funny; when we were all in the DCUs, the BDUs looked funny. Now, the DCUs look out of place.

My first sergeant told me that formation was 8-ish. When I got there, he told me I probably didn’t have to actually stand formation. Things were a bit relaxed. I entered the armory and saw Sergeant Major A, and he said “Congratulations.” “Thanks”, I said, “for what?” “Your new job.” “What new job,” I asked.

Our armor brigade is reorganizing into a Unit of Action, Rumsfeld’s new basic building block unit. As part of this, my slot, the Inspector General, has gone away, so I am without a home. In the Guard, each soldier has to have a slot, and mine just vanished. So, the powers that be, taking care of me, moved me to another LTC slot. I am now the Comptroller in the USPFO (United Stated Property and Fiscal Office).

I have no qualifications for this job, as I understand it, but that doesn’t matter. I only warm the chair on drill weekends. It is a full time job occupied by another soldier M-F. Essentially, I am being parked somewhere. Which is okay with me. My leaders are taking care of me, and found a place for me to exist until something else comes open, if it does. That’s just the way of the Guard.

No comments: